Saturday, March 06, 2010

Another goodbye...

It is with great sadness that I have to report the loss of Winifred, my beautiful Light Sussex hen. Over the past few weeks, she has had quite a few quiet days and generally not her usual self. She really went down hill this week and it wasn't fair to prolong her suffering.

This is one of my favourite pictures of her. Her wattles covered in yoghurt!



RIP Winnie.

I am now off and am really relieved. This week has been quite stressful. Only 2 days but have lots planned. I finally started making my patchwork quilt. These are the colours I have decided on -


9 colours and I have used each one twice in a line, so 18 x 5" squares of fabric. I have made 4 lines so far and another 14 to go! that is only 152 squares left to cut! Not a quick weekend project, but one that I am enjoying so far. Remind me of that when the squares don't match up!

Last week was busy, baking wise. Quite a few eggs and lots of bananas needed using up.
Banana & sultana cake -


and a few low calorie muffins -


For some reason, muffins are never 'muffin shaped' when I make them! Please do not email for the recipe. They are ridiculously high fat and artery clogging, but tasted great. You should know to take my 'low fat' with a pinch of salt!

It is getting warmer and I realised that my little greenhouse had succumbed to the winter elements and was full of holes.
Hot footed it to Wilkinsons to see their gardening range and came home with this little beauty!


The blue nylon rope is there to prevent 'wind related' incidents. A couple of years ago, a gust blew my old greenhouse across the garden. Complete with all my seedlings. So far I only have broad beans in there. Hopefully, I can start off my tomatoes and courgettes soon. Will get onto the Organic Gardening Company to order more seeds later in the week.

It is freezing again here. Got in at 7pm this evening and it was already -1. Fire lit now, it's toasty and warm. Jase is back tomorrow afternoon, but we only have 1 day off together this week. Rosters have gone somewhat to pot! It doesn't get much better this month.

Right, have a few egg cosies to sew, so better crack on.

I hope to be back soon and sorry for my long absence.

C x x x

3 comments:

  1. Hello Christian,

    I'm so sorry to hear of your loss of Winifred this week. She'll be fine now in henny heaven. Keep your chin up.
    lots of love,
    Suzanne
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about poor Winifred, rest assured she couldn't have had a better home with you and Jase.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your blog it keeps me totally inspired to achieve as much as you do, if I only made it to half your achievements I'd be a very happy lady! Sorry to hear about Winifred though, she'll be in hen heaven with all the rest of the hens we've loved and lost. I bet your blanket will be amazing when it's finished, the colors are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

stop me being locked up for posting to myself.....