Saturday, June 10, 2017

Abs of steel.....


Good morning world!

''Tis I, the very naughty, naughty blogger, who is alive and hanging his head in shame.  

Things started going wrong when I decided to open my Facebook Christmas shoppe in September '16.  I slightly underestimated the popularity of my wares and spent 3 months making jams, jellies, Christmas puddings, sugared almonds, fudge, cakes and snowman hats (so, so many hats)!

It all started with a small container of blackberries and snow balled into 300 jars of jam sold!

















But that was then and this is now.  Same old really.  When we last 'spoke', I had fractured my wrist. It started aching all the time, so I bought a copper bracelet that is working well, apart from the green stain, that needs scrubbing off every day.

Furface is fine and currently snoring like a freight train under my sewing table.  He has two new friends, Teddy and Buddy, a neighbour's jack Russell puppies.  He is teaching them all he knows, including the best muck to roll in!



I am typing this on my iPad and it keeps crashing, so hold on tight as much swearing might ensue! 
Edit - Moved onto the Macbook as I can't take the b@£%$£@ iPad anymore!

My allotment...

 

....looks nothing like this! This is the dream.  The reality is something quite different. Barren plot, except for the weeds. The bane of my life; creeping buttercup and bind weed.  Everywhere.  I've been working on it since March and have little to show for it in terms of actual, take-home-and-eat produce.  The only good thing about the dry weather is the lack slugs and snails.  Last year I planted everything three times.  This year only once, but the little seedlings are slow to appear.  
Luckily I now have a greenhouse on my next door neighbour's plot and that has made a huge difference. 



My sweetcorn is going great guns though and is now in the ground..



Baking still continues at Bramble Cottage, but less often than before.  That's the trouble with living alone, you feels obliged to eat everything you bake and my six pack (!) doesn't approve.  *cough*




So, I went to the Doctors a couple of weeks ago, as I have a slight hernia.  Had it 20 years, but it never bothers me really.  She examined me, asked me to cough several times (no, not like that) and commented on my ab muscles, saying I must do Pilates more than once a week to get abs like mine.  (I nearly choked and doubted if she was actually qualified).  Shame they so are well insulated under the layer of fat.  I'm waiting for an ultrasound to determine whether I will need surgery or not; secretly hoping for late November, early December...

In the meantime, I'll continue with my 3 - 4 Pilates classes a week (get me)! as I enjoy them and it is still making huge difference to my back, posture and general Zen like state of mind.  I'm still wearing a vest under my t-shirt as when I've got my legs over my head, no-one wants to see my tummy...regardless of my alleged 'abs'. 



The hens are ok.  I lost one a few months ago to sour crop :0( but the remaining 5 are ok.  Cornelia and Agnes are now 10 years old and slowing down, no longer laying, but still in charge of the younger hens.  I planted a pot of mint in the run, to try and deter flies.  The basil pot lasted 2.6 seconds before they destroyed it, but clearly mint is not a favourite of chickens.

Work is still.....erm....work.  The less said about that the better, but it pays the mortgage and keeps the Terrier in dog treats. I'm tempted to reduce my 75% contract to 50%, but finances do not allow that at the moment.  I need to write a book and sit wistfully in the conservatory, Terrier at my feet, sipping tea and pen a best seller.  Another dream.  But maybe one day? Tales of Bramble Cottage...


I'm shocked at how little I have to tell you, seeing as it's been months of blog neglect.  Just plodding on as we all do.  The literary thorns in my side (in a nice way), Nadia, Lisa and Aunty Di, will be happy that I'm writing again.  I have missed it, but struggle to find the time to bore you all with my life from a little village in Hampshire.


Milo helping with changing the bed sheets - 



I have to dash now as I'm taking Furface out wth his girlfriend Ruby, the Springer Spaniel.  I'll leave you with this adorable pic that I snapped on my phone.  One of my favourites.  


...and I Promise to blog more often....

C x x x



6 comments:

  1. Theresa Sibley10 June 2017 at 10:21

    As entertaining as ever!! We've missed you! Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're back!!!
    How I've missed your blog, fabulous as always x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see you back Christian. Milo ia adorable. I don't blog everyday but start preparing posts in advance and then schedule them to post usually when I am up to my eyes. i.e. doing all the prepping in a specified time frame and then just tweak before finalising.

    Pilates is brilliant for backs.

    Take care

    Pattypanx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marion McCarthy11 June 2017 at 07:01

    Love your witty repartee and observations, great to see you back writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. about flippin' time--that's me telling you off !
    Chirpy as ever, even though you have your health probs...pace yourself. Why no pics of Buddy Milo and Teddy? Next time please.
    my lottie is doing well, but have more time than you. Wish we lived closer I have SOOOO many red currants and black currents soon be ready.
    Love to my favourite chaps.

    Aunty Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Abi reuter xxxxxx24 August 2017 at 00:11

    ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘fantastic blog love your witty comments your written word brings a smile to my face. Love the fur face pics. We want more .

    ReplyDelete

stop me being locked up for posting to myself.....