Sunday, November 06, 2011

Introducing Bramble Cottage!

Hello everyone!

I am back! It has been a rough week and my back is knackered after moving. The day before we left Farm Cottage, we had water dripping through a light fitting in the ceiling! Emergency plumber called - a roof problem not a burst pipe! Luckily Rob our neighbour shimmied onto the roof like a nimble mountain goat and sorted out the problem.

Our buyer was on holiday until yesterday, so we moved everything out on completion date. I left the hens there for a couple of extra days, just to give myself a bit of time to settle here. Building on their walk in run will start on the 21st of November! So excited. It'll look fab and have a small lean to for me to store all their feed/bedding etc.

I got the keys for Bramble on Friday 28th at 11am. The removal company had moved everything in by 12 and then left with their cheque. Then followed 2-3 days of cleaning as the people had left the house filthy. They took lightbulbs, the fire grate, the door knocker and only left £5 on the awful electric key meter. They lied about the parking spaces, disputes with neighbours and barking dogs, not to mention cat hair in a sleeping-cat-sized mark on the bedroom carpet. That's right, they didn't even vacuum before they left. Peasants. I ripped the filthy bedroom carpet up within 2 hours of moving in. Mum took one look at the toilet seat and asked where the nearest Homebase was. I won't write about the state of the toilet seat. You might be eating.

It was an emotional time for Jase and I, but we will always be friends and there are no regrets. I have thoroughly enjoyed the past 7 years. Time to go our separate ways, but we will see each other I'm sure. I have been told my beef olive recipe is the best, not to mention my lasagne and chilli, so he will be a regular dinner guest at Bramble Cottage!


Right, now I need to explain a few things. The decor (although it is ok, just plain white), curtains and light fittings are NOT my choice. They will do until I get organised enough to replace everything. Just time and cash being the major stumbling blocks.

Anyway, onto the pictures as I know you are chomping at the bit!

The view from the gravel track -


The bush on the left of the door has been dug up. Mum and I have planted 100 daffodil bulbs along the length of the house.

My kitchen with Stanley the Rayburn!


And now - not much better -



The plan is to have a worktop over the washing machine with a hob and oven next to it. Stanley is still in the fireplace and is doing a lovely job at warming the house!

The lounge with widescreen telly (don't laugh)!


The wonderful little door hiding my stairs! I have always wanted that!


My bedroom -


and now -


The spare room or 'sewing corner' as it is now known. Complete with an ugly sink in each room. Handy though!




Just half of what I have for the craft fair this year.

I have a problem with crafting....

The little built in cupboards in the spare room.



The one of the left is called my BA cupboard. All my uniform and work related stuff fits in, so I can hide it all away!!


The conservatory is so full of junk that I can't take a picture. Once the kitchen floor has been tiled, the carpenter (the lovely Matt) will start work on the work tops and units. I need a hob and oven to use in the summer as Stanley the Rayburn kicks out too much heat to use all year round.

Having lived in the area for 5+ years, I have discovered a wondered shop. Well, it is actually a barn. They use old floorboards and reclaimed timber to make the most stunning furniture. Old dressers, tables, bookcases etc all made from floorboards, windows or any wood they can get their hands on. I have ordered antique reclaimed pine work tops that they are making out of wide floorboards! The guy that runs it also makes shelves, so I have ordered 2 oak shelves for the kitchen - one above the Rayburn and the other for storing my small *cough* collection of Le Parfait jars!

I went in this week to finalise my order and told the guy that although his furniture is amazing, he needs to 'dress' it. The bookcases need a few books, the dressers need a plant, tea cups and saucers and a few gingham hearts would add to the appeal. He has asked me to come back and help him style the showroom as he admitted he hasn't got a clue! *rolls up sleeves and gets the fabric ready* The fact that his Brother in law works for Laura Ashley and is recently single had nothing to do with me offering to help...............but think of the discount. *wink*

Oil was delivered last week, so I got on my tummy (not easy with my dodgy back) and tried to light the burner. Something I will not be doing often as it is such a faff. Once lit, Stanley - yes, he has a name thanks to Susie - is so hot. I have turned him down to number one, but even then the heat is quite something! It will take some getting used to, as cooking on a Rayburn is alien to me, but the roast potatoes I did yesterday were lovely!

Logs were delivered today and the lovely man knew that my back was playing up, so stacked all the wood for me! I didn't have any extra cash in the house, so I gave him a jar of jam, some limestone flour for his hens who are laying thin shelled eggs and 3 chocolate snowmen for his children!

Taking of snowmen, I hinted about them in a previous post! 32 made so far, each filled with a bar of Dairy milk. I hope they will be popular!


It is less than 2 weeks until I am doing the Appleshaw school fair and I have to learn how to bake in my new oven. Shouldn't be that difficult I hear you say! Well it is! The temperature gauge either says 0C or 260C so a bit of guess work is in order. And a new temperature gauge!

All in all, I have to say I LOVE IT HERE. The beams, the quirks, steps, walls that won't allow you to put up a shelf as they are so out, the dreadful economy 7 heating - all of it is fab! It will take some time for me to get it the way I would like it, but so far, very happy. Mum and Dad have been great, coming over all the time and helping. Jase and Dad cleaned out the gutters, as the plants growing in there were getting unruly! Friends have been dropping in and it is lovely.

To everyone on here and Facebook, that have sent me cards and wished me well, thank you! Sorry it has taken so long to write my blog, but in fairness BT only connected my broadband 2 days ago!

I am back to work on Tuesday, boo, but I have to pay the mortgage somehow.

Will write more soon.


C x x

15 comments:

  1. It is wonderful Christian (as is your Beef Olives recipe!)
    It is so very you, & I can't wait to see more pictures once you have put your stamp on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great Chris. I am jealous! Sure you will be very happy. Lol Dags x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christian it looks lovely! As with all projects it will take some time, but it is nice to live in it for a while until you have a "feel" for what you'd like. If you need any help (I have Interior Design diploma)but especially with curtains - I can sew Roman Blinds and normal ones and would happily come down with my own sewing machine to get it done! Hope to see you soon, enjoy your lovely new cottagae.
    xxx Brittle

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cottage is very you and so very cosy! :) Loved coming round yesterday. And would love to taste your beef olives recipe... Maybe I might invite myself just like I did yesterday :) Caroline xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a lovely cottage Christian! Wishing you many happy hours there xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad that you are settling to YOUR home. Are you going to use the conservatory as a sun room or ensuite greenhouse?

    When we moved in here, the previous tenants had taken all the curtain rails, lampshades and toilet roll holders. Mind you, I was glad of the opportunity to choose my own for once.

    Hope you and the hens enjoy settling in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It all look so good, I know you'll be happy there, it's lovely. All the best from me.

    MrsL
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks lovely - am very impressed with your BA wardrobe, very neat and orderly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's looks amazing Christian - I wish you many years of happiness there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You must be releved to finally be in your new home. Some people are just meanies and totally thoughtless - taking the door knocker and not even putting the vac round. Do keep us posted with the before and after photos. Lots of hugs mummyhenxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. It will be lovely - it is already in a kind of-not-quite-as-you-want-it-kind of way! I can see the potential!
    I trust the ladies aprove?
    All the best!
    Louise
    X

    PS: GArden piccies would be nice! : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wahaay - well done and raspberry to previous owners. hope you and your girls will be happy and conteneted in your new des res. Love Ali

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely cottage you have there - cosy and warm in the winter .... bliss! Looking forward to updates and photos of works in progress. I'm sure you'll be very happy there and I have a feeling you're going to have frequent visitors! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic house Christian, I wish you well on the beginning of this new phase in your life.

    I could never leave a house I had moved out of so dirty.........yeuch!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The house is adorable! Lots of cupboards that are asking to be peeked in! Quirky stairways; it was meant for you! However I cannot believe how tight the previous people are to have taken the lightbulbs & firegrate. If they lied on paper about what they weren't taking, or they told you that they had good relations with the neighbours, parking etc, you may have some recourse to compensation from them (serves them right!)
    Anyway, enjoy making your house a home! x

    ReplyDelete

stop me being locked up for posting to myself.....